I could NEVER sell all my things and downsize enough to make the move!
I could NEVER get rid of my beloved books!
I could NEVER travel without knowing how the money will come!
I could NEVER……
We have heard it all, so many people think that they could never do what we are doing but in reality its not that we are some special type of person… it can be done by anyone who has the desire, I know because "I" was one of those people that said I could NEVER! Never say NEVER!!
I have had many people ask me HOW? How have we gotten rid of all of our possessions in such a short time period? Well I had lots of gals that helped encourage me along in the process! Tara suggested that I begin by making a list of all of the rooms in my house and what needs to be done within each! Sara suggested that I keep one toy box for each child and a box of art/craft supplies! She reminded me that with three kiddos I should attempt to take virtually nothing! Selena helped me decide which clothes I needed to keep.. those classics that are comfy and that never go out of style!
With these wonderful gals as my mentors here is how I did it…
1) Cry tears of joy and sadness at the quick sale of a house and realization that I only had 28 days to sell or get rid of EVERYTHING!
2) Make a list of every nook and cranny of my house that needed to be gone through!
3) Start a page for each of those previously listed nooks and what needs to be done within each!
4) Go to each nook and list all the furniture/ big items that need to be photographed and listed on Craigs list.. AND DO IT! LIST everything!
5) Plan a yard sale!
6) Start working on the list a little bit at a time, push past the tears!
7) When working I kept asking myself… “ CAN I PURCHASE ANOTHER __________________!” If I could say yes then I either sold it, gave it to a friend or got rid of it!! (Can I purchase another candy apple red Kitchenaid mixer? Yup! Can I purchase another binder full of love letters/poetry from my man …NOPE!)
The items that I kept were mainly letters, journals and scrapbooks! I put those special mementos in a hope chest that my dad made me before I was married and asked family to store it for us until we are done with our travels
IT CAN BE DONE!
~Everything we possess that is not necessary for life or happiness becomes a burden,
and scarcely a day passes that we do not add to it.~